Haiti Report

I.K.9.S.A.R.S. was asked to respond privately to search for missing Americans in Haiti. Throughout the disaster responses we received very little support to get I.K.9.S.A.R.S. teams to Haiti. Below are photos taken during the disaster. The St Croix USVI teams were able to respond. Throughout the event Harry Oakes worked as a Coordinator and consultant to the event.

 

Lessons to be learned from Haiti earthquake.

As in all the disasters we respond to here is what is faced by rescue teams.

Apt. this shows the destruction of an apt complex. Here the vehicles were spared. This is why it's important to have disaster supplies stored outside your apt in a rubber maid garbage can. Food, Water, Clothing, First aid, camping supplies, emergency tents, sleeping bags, etc. Also back up supplies stored in your vehicle.
Bodies. In major disasters such as Haiti there isn't time to stop and identify each and every victim through fingerprints, dental records, photographs.
Mass graves are dug and bodies dumped in and buried. This was done in the Philippines, Honduras, Armenia, Turkey, as well as the Haiti disaster.
 
Bodies. Often the smell is overwhelming. We focus on locating the living. Victims buried and still alive. We'll let the local folks deal with their dead.
In the Philippines two men were found alive after two weeks. In Turkey we found 14 alive. Four after 10 days. In the Haiti quake one man was found alive after 3 weeks.
Bringing out a victim. 80% of rescued victims are rescued by neighbors, co workers, family and friends. We search for the other 20 %.
Confined space cameras, listening devices, as well as search dogs play an important part in searching the rubble. Here a confined space camera shows a person still alive buried under the rubble.
Down town. Where to start searching?
Hillside rubble. Besides the rubble, gravity poses it's own challenges.
People from all over the world respond. Here an Red Cross worker from International Red Cross carries a child.
Pancaking of structures happens a lot in disasters. There are times we'll find victims in the VOIDS of the structures. I've actually found more victims alive in these type of destroyed structures then in anywhere else.
People looting. This poses it's own hazards to search teams. People are desperate for food, medicine, water, and will kill to get it.
Roadway note the power lines down as well as the destroyed vehicle from debris. These offer dangers in searching as well.
Rubble. This is a typical search area. We'll talk to the surviving witnesses and let them show us where they last saw their family, friends, neighbors then we'll start an assessment to see how safe it is to search the pile. We'll start by working the perimeter, then the top, then as we deem it safe, we'll tunnel inside to search the voids for survivors.
This is the scary part. Many times we're inside the pile when aftershocks hit.
We also face rats, snakes, hazardous materials.
Searching for victims. We'll work in shifts. It's exhausting work emotionally and physically.
 
   
 
 
   
 
 

Copyright © 2005 International K-9 Search and Rescue Services. All rights reserved.